Look Development - Respirator

Work In Progress / 10 April 2019

Started look development on the respirator mask. 

Software: Substance Painter, Maya, Redshift

 




Sculpting Detail - Respirator

Work In Progress / 02 April 2019

Finalized the modeling & sculpting on the respirator after client feedback. It turned out to be more challenging than I originally thought due to the double-sided thin geometry. All detailing done within ZBrush 2018.  For the cloth pattern, I used a custom alpha created in PS then brought it into ZBrush's MaskByNoise feature within NoiseMaker.  Easy peasy! 😁

Next up, baking and texturing.





Quick Rig - Respirator

Work In Progress / 14 March 2019

Benefits to knowing the very basics of rigging: allows for some quick editing on static objects. Makes it a little less painful to respond to client feedback. 🔨



Photogrammetry - Respirator

Work In Progress / 09 March 2019

Respirator WIP for a current job. Processed in RealityCapture, scan clean up in Zbrush 2018, retopo and UVs in Maya. Still need to add nose bridge component, finish detailing, then onto texturing.



  

Photogrammetry - Sponge Applicator

Work In Progress / 08 January 2019

More photogrammetry experiments using Reality Capture this time on a 10 cm diameter sponge applicator. Notice the small wire that I used to balance the object in the air for photo capture. 😲 I'm impressed by the amount of detail that is picked up on such a small object without using a macro lens or tube. In this instance, I used my usual fixed 50mm lens but this time I had the photos focus stacked before feeding them into Reality Capture.  You can do the focus stacking in Photoshop (slower & more cumbersome) or in focus stacking software such as Helicon Focus or Zerene Stacker.


Photogrammetry - Spray Bottle

Work In Progress / 01 January 2019

I'm doing some R&D for a possible upcoming job.  The goal is to cut down production time for building out the assets.  I'm testing Reality Capture this time on a slightly reflective object.  If you're familiar with photogrammetry, you'll know that reflective objects are a pain to capture.  I think the results came out great.

I'm using the same method I used on a previous job where I used a matte gray primer to coat the object then adding some detail using an old toothbrush to flick some paint onto the surface.  Use this method at your own risk! 😉



Photogrammetry - Firewood

Work In Progress / 22 December 2018

Doing some photogrammetry exercises using RealityCapture for data processing, Zbrush for scan cleanup and editing, Maya for retopo, and Substance Painter for texturing.  I've found that adding some micro detail via a height map that's blended in combination with the baked normal map helps to punch up the detail a little.  Here's a side by side comparison with and without.